Thursday, May 10, 2012

The View From Down Here

As I was searching the Internet this morning, looking for things to talk about on Sunday's "Wait 'Til Next Year", I came across an article titled How Not to Cover Josh Hamilton's 4 Homer Game by Jeff Sullivan at Baseball Nation.


My first thought was, "Well, I think Solly and I have that one covered."  (Listen to the newest show when it's posted later today or tomorrow.  That joke will be funny.  I promise.)


Sullivan makes a good point, though.  Even though Hamilton had one of the best games in MLB history (18 TOTAL BASES!), all people wanted to talk about was his contract status.  Solly and I are guilty of it as well.  We mentioned the game, but immediately began discussing the money that he would be making this off-season.


Sullivan sums everything up much better than I could, so I'll just let him say it:
Why not take some time to appreciate what Josh Hamilton did on a baseball field, instead of using that to fuel something written about what Hamilton might do at a later date in somebody's office?
Hamilton's performance was a historic performance to be appreciated, and somehow I feel like it's being glossed over. Not by everybody, but by too many bodies. What's important right now isn't Josh Hamilton's next contract. What's important is what Josh Hamilton just did to pitchers on a baseball field. 
So often, we worry too much about money and contracts, and we fail to just appreciate what guys like Josh Hamilton are doing with essentially a stick and a leather bound ball.  It's pretty sad when Peter Gammons, of all people, is the one making the most sense (even with the spelling error).




0 comments:

Post a Comment

Official WTNY Merchandise!


Browse other gifts from Zazzle.