Tuesday, March 27, 2012

Eternal Sunshine of the Southern Poor Girl

We have a special treat for you guys, today.  We have been graced with a special blog from Courtney Smith, longtime (but currently on a long hiatus) message board member both Pun's House and Online Onslaught.  She was one of only TWO women to make regular contributions to the Pun's House message board, the other being the one and only Firewoman.  Make sure you let her know how much you like it.  We might be lucky enough to have her stick around a little longer.  Courtney's new blog can be found here.

Things to Know if You’re Going to Faithfully Commit Yourself to Me (Yes, You)

1) I’m a 25-year-old single white female from Nashville. Not that this is really important, but if you read something and think to yourself, “Damn, what is this whippersnapper talking about?” or “Damn, she’s doing a music list that is 90% pre-1980!” or “Damn, why does she talk about the south so much?,” you’ll have your answer.

2) I have an unhealthy obsession with music. I know that probably a lot of you do too. And that’s amazing. Most of the things I write about will be music-related. And I’ll always post what song I’m listening to at the time. For instance, Now Playing: Sonic Youth- Poison Arrow. I’m always listening to music especially when I write.

3) I Heart Nashville. When I was growing up, I always told everyone that I would never spend my life in the south. I was going to move away, preferably to New York City. I think that’s where all little girls growing up here dream about moving away to. However, that did not and probably (never say never) will not happen seeing as how I’m in love with my fair city. I’ll do a lot of posts on Nashville and specific things that make this city great. And maybe one of them will have to do with country music. I like to show people the things that aren’t obvious.

4) I moved into a new apartment recently and this is the first time I’ve ever lived by myself. It’s wonderful, terrifying and boring all at once. Wonderful because…well, I‘ll get to that later. Terrifying because paying rent on my own is the single-most headache-inducing thing I’ve ever had to do. And boring because I need people around me or ten projects to do all at once. My mind is usually in hyperactive mode and since I don’t like talking on the phone, I need to be out of the apartment or have something to attack with my glue gun.

5) I just got a dog, in part to alleviate some of the boredom. His name is Riff and he’s 11 weeks old. He is so ridiculously adorable that I am overlooking a lot. But once he’s trained, he’ll be spectacular.

6) I watch a lot of television and movies. I’ll be doing reviews on here and talking about tv…a lot. And considering that in order to pay rent, I haven’t had cable or proper internet for three months now, I need some place to express my absolute loooove for the box in my living room.

7) I can’t cook anything except for lasagna and desserts. There is a reason Garfield is my favorite comic strip character. So you don’t have to worry about me posting tons of recipes except for all these desserts that I have yet to try out in a new book I got called Booze Cakes. Speaking of…

8) I like alcohol. That may not be the classiest thing to write on the internet, but I don’t care. I’m not an alcoholic but I like to think my alcohol knowledge is pretty sound. One of my dreams (on that vague list in my head) is to own a bar one day. This will not happen soon (unless I win the lottery) seeing as I am horrible with money. But still, it’s there. I’m getting off-topic. Anyways, I probably will talk about some of my favorite drinks. And while going on and on about Nashville, you might notice most of my favorite places are within walking distance of a bar. Yay booze!

9) I love feedback. Especially if I’m talking about booze and you have a drink that I’ve never heard of. This also applies to crafts, bands, songs and dessert recipes. If I post something and you’re all, “Oh, I wonder if she knows about this…”, by all means, tell me about it. Tanks. (Not a misprint)

10) I love fashion. Even though I can’t afford it. I peruse fashion blogs like it’s going out of style (see what I did there) and I will talk about any great deals I see because I feel like this is necessary for girls like me. My closet just got a major overhaul and is slowly being built back up with clothes that I actually like instead of cheap, crappy stuff. Notice I didn’t say “instead of stuff from Goodwill.” Because I love that place. It’s like my third favorite place in the world. Especially on the first Saturday of every month.

11) I am a yard sale addict. This time of year is my favorite for many reasons, but mostly because people start doing yard sales. Seriously, it’s like crack. Not that I’ve ever done crack, but you get it. Yes? I will probably post a lot about what I get and find at sales. Because for real, crack.

12) For all you dudes out there, feel free to skip any post containing the words “Dude, Look at This Dude” or “Future Husband” because that’s just me talking about a hot guy. Like Future Husband #1 Ryan Gosling, FH #2 Joseph Gordon-Levitt and FH #3 Andrew Garfield. Yes, I will be married three times and have the most adorable children ever. Deal with it.

13) I go on these little rants (example: #12) where I sound crazy, but really, I’m pretty down-to-earth. Unless you get me talking about something I really love to talk about. Like Future Husbands. Like how Adam Levine’s tattoos make up for the fact that he’s probably a douchebag. Cakes with booze in them. How my favorite place in the world is Grimey’s on 8th Ave South, a mere ten minutes from my house. Things like that.

14) I have guilty pleasures that are considered not cool to talk about. Everyone does. But I will be bold and talk about them and try to convince you to like them. Some of these I know will be fruitless. Like the Jersey Shore post I already have planned. But some of them will take hold with someone and hopefully make a positive change. Wow, I’m kinda making myself sound a lot more important than I am and thinking that hundreds of people will read this instead of maybe 10. Hmm…oh well. Let’s dance and everything will be better.

15) I love to talk about politics and religion. And my opinions are not that of your stereotypical person born in Georgia and raised in Tennessee. I think the political system we have is ridiculous and I’ll feature bonehead politicians on here a lot. Because it needs to be done. I have conservative view points (I mean real conservative points, not this crazy thing Republicans are calling conservatism), especially on fiscal issues, but my social meter swings wildly to the liberal side of things. And since that’s where politicians (both left and right) tend to say the dumbest things, I’ll probably feature most of those.

Alright, that should be enough. Hopefully, y’all will like it and continue reading. Till next time…

Now Playing: Spice Girls- 2 Become 1 (Shh, I said I had guilty pleasures.)

3 comments:

  • firewoman says:
    March 27, 2012 at 11:37 AM

    I love Spice Girls. And it was getting lonely in the Ladies' Room :)

  • John Roberts says:
    March 27, 2012 at 4:11 PM

    Well written Courtney. I look forward to more of your stuff

  • thaipod says:
    March 28, 2012 at 4:09 AM

    I'm glad you moved to Nashville. I've already got to meet up with you twice because you did! :)

Post a Comment

Official WTNY Merchandise!


Browse other gifts from Zazzle.