Friday, February 17, 2012

The View From Down Here - Carlos Zambrano Says "No Hard Feelings"

When Carlos Zambrano walked out on the Cubs after getting roughed up during a game in Atlanta late in the 2011 season, it was a forgone conclusion by most fans (myself included) that he had just pitched his last game for the team.  Zambrano's antics over the last several years, as well as his empty promises that he had "changed", had become just too much of a distraction for a clubhouse that was trying to end 100+ years of futility.  


So, even though he met with new President of Baseball Operations, Theo Epstein, and was told publicly that he would be given the opportunity to win his teammates' trust, it was no surprise when he was shipped off this winter to Miami to play for his BFF, Ozzie Guillen.


Carlos recently sat down with Cubs' beat reporter Carrie Muskat to discuss the trade, as well as what he sees for his future in Miami:

“I was very happy when I found out about [the trade],” Zambrano told reporters at the golf event. “I think it was time for a change and obviously this trade benefitted me.” 
While Zambrano says he believes he could have returned to Chicago, he admits it was probably a good time for him to move on. 
“I don’t think it would have been difficult,” Zambrano said about staying with the Cubs. “I’ve changed my mentality and God has helped me change a lot of things about how I am. It all depended on the work I was going to put in and the mentality I would bring back to them.” 
He threw a no-hitter and several tantrums with the Cubs, but Zambrano says he has no ill feelings toward the team. 
“I’ve always had a lot of respect for the people of Chicago,” he said. “From the fans to the front office, I want to thank them for treating my like a professional for the past 11 years. All I have for Chicago is gratitude and respect.” 
Zambrano is also grateful for what his new manager did for him. Marlins skipper Ozzie Guillen lobbied to get Big Z. 
“I’m very thankful that Ozzie pushed to bring me here to the Marlins,” Zambrano said. “He’s a manager that is dynamic. I am a big supporter of his mentality as a manager and I am very happy to have the opportunity to play for him on this team.”
I defended Carlos probably  a lot more than he deserved.  Just ask Solly and Mikey.  But it was his time to go.  He needed a change of scenery, and he needed it BAD.


Zambrano also states in the article that he is in great shape, even hitting 97 mph on the gun.  There was never any reason to doubt that he would bounce back in 2012....at least physically.  There were legitimate concerns, however, that it would happen in Chicago, thus the reason for the trade.  Even if he bounces back and does well in Miami, which I kind of think that he will, that does not mean he would have done the same in Chicago.  It would have been a completely different atmosphere.


It was always said that Zambrano had raw talent that was just as good as, if not better than, both Kerry Wood and Mark Prior.  The three of them were supposed to carry the Cubs to not only one, but many World Series Championships over the course of their tenure in Chicago.  We all know what has happened over the course of those years.  Unfortunately, due to his temper, his attitude, and his tirades, Zambrano will always be one of the bigger "what ifs" in Cubs history.

At least the Gatorade machine will be safe now.

2 comments:

  • DevilSoprano says:
    February 17, 2012 at 11:27 PM

    Three stud pitchers. Multiple World Championships. I know I've heard this before. Just can't place it. To be fair though, at least the Cubs 3 did get them to a playoffs series and a capable SS gets them to a world series. Now the question becomes who goes to the playoffs first...Cubs or Mets?

  • Nate says:
    February 17, 2012 at 11:55 PM

    I would say the Cubs only because of the job that Theo did with the farm system since he took over.

Post a Comment

Official WTNY Merchandise!


Browse other gifts from Zazzle.